Click here for publications: statements, reports, reference & guidance
Click here for pograms: payments, collections, debt collection, agency reporting, training & consulting
Click here for Advanced Search
Click here to subscribe to free E-mal Notification Service

Federal Withholdings and Offsets

Click on the questions below for answers about withholdings and offsets.

  • Tax refund withholdings and offsets

    The amount of my federal payment (e.g., income tax refund) has been reduced ("offset"). Why?

    My spouse and I filed a joint tax return and our refund was offset for a debt that my spouse owes. What must I do to receive my portion of the refund?

    I have already filed an IRS Form 8379; however, my portion of the joint refund was offset to collect my spouse's debt. Whom should I contact to receive my portion of the refund?

  • Child support

    My payment was reduced, but I do not owe any debt to the United States, and I do not owe any past-due child support. What should I do?

    My federal payment was reduced two months ago for delinquent child support. The state has not received the money. Where is it?

    My ex-spouse owes child support. What is the Treasury Offset Program (TOP) and how can it assist me with payment collection?

Related Resources:

   Last Updated:  March 14, 2014